Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Museum

I went to the museum
Just the other day
Not one of beauty
In the usual way
But of ugliness
Atrocities against mankind
I saw images of skeleton people
With deep hollow eyes
Pale white flesh hanging
From mutilated lives
Walking death
Painful tortured cries
Hate was abundant in that evil place
Sickening example of a superior race
Babies ripped out of screaming mother’s arms
Bloodthirsty murderers
With impeccable charms
God’s chosen people wore David’s Star
On sleeves of tattered clothes
Their faith endured unspeakable horror
To this day many deny
The Holocaust ever happened
They say it’s a lie
Truth will overcome
Man’s twisted tongue
On the Day of Judgment
No one can run

"(C)" Leatherman 2011


4 comments:

  1. Brenda, I lived in Germany just 16 years after the War. I was 5 years old. Mark and I were confronted by two little Nazi boys and they raised their fists to us and shouted angrily at us in German. I was so scared and they were so mean.

    They chased us into a bomb crater and we hung there by a root of an ancient tree for quite a period of time. They continued shaking their fists at us and yelling terribly.

    We also had the chance to visit Auschwitz while there but my mother did not want to go in. I will never forget and have since identified with the eternal words of Poetess Nelly Sachs. Read up on her and she will fascinate you.

    You are doing so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    That is so scary! I'm glad those bad kids didn't hurt the two of you. I'm sure the memories and the stories that they heard about the U.S. invasion of their country left a bitter taste, even in the mouths of babes.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my work, and for your input.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete