Wednesday, July 11, 2012

No Pigment of the Soul


I offered you my smile
You returned to me a frown
I reached for your hand
You clenched your fist
And turned around

I offered you my amity
You mortared your heart
With bricks of animosity
I listened to your voice
But all I heard was
They must be destroyed

I offered you my love
Attacking me
You spilled my blood
I tried to share a vision
Blinding hate was your decision

To walk the path
Of infectious detestation
Passed thru bitter by gone
Generations
Makes no sense to me at all
To trip someone and
Applaud their fall

Are we not the same design
Beautiful colors painted
By our Creator sublime
Different shells
Covered with flesh and bone
There is
No pigment of the soul

© Leatherman 2012

6 comments:

  1. i wish i had a fraction of your skill with words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not only your skill with words which I envy, it is the way you are able to express your emotions in such a way that the reader can FEEL them and identify with them. It is what makes your poetry speak to me so clearly and beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing your talent, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jan, that's what I strive for, to bring up raw emotion and hopefully provoke thought!
    I'm glad I can touch some hearts with my words!

    ReplyDelete